3 to 5 year olds
Learning through play
We continue to build children’s independence skills, self-confidence and natural curiosity in the Blue Room. The emphasis here is on developing conversational language and friendships as well as lifelong learning skills such as being curious, finding out and exploring and making links across their learning.
We encourage children to keep on trying when they encounter a problem and celebrate their success. We promote and extend concentration and language through our ‘plan, do and review’ routines. In addition to the learning children choose for themselves we extend their language, mathematical and physical development daily through carefully planned innovative and exciting focus group work, based on their next steps and interests.
Learning is reinforced through sharing experiences from home at school and from school to home, linking the learning. We also hold Saturday Specials each half term as a way for families to come together to build friendships whilst having fun.
Blue Room Blog - In Autumn Term 1
In Autumn Term 1 we spent time getting to know our new classroom and routines. We had lots of fun exploring all our new classroom toys and making new friends.
Blue Room Blog - Autumn Term 2
In Autumn Term 2 we explored all things Autumn and looked at special events such as Black history month, Bonfire night, Diwali and Christmas.
– We explored pumpkins, talked about the different textures and then carved our pumpkins
– We loved learning about Anansi the spider (an old traditional African tale)
– We created our own bonfire and explored different ways we could move our bodies like fire or fireworks
– We made diva lamps, draw rangoli patterns and learnt all about the story of Rama and Sita for Diwali
– We explored all things Christmas at the end of the term.