How can I make a complaint?

If you have any difficulties anywhere in school please speak first to a member of staff who will direct you to the appropriate manager. Misunderstandings can usually be explained. If matters are not resolved, please speak to the Headteacher. Formal complaints about childcare need to be sent in writing to the childcare subcommittee of the governing body. A complaints policy and advice are available from the nursery school office. If complaints are not answered satisfactorily by the school OFSTED can be contacted on 0300 123 1231